I’ve never been big on coming up with a word for the year. But as I’ve gotten older, the Lord has seemed to highlight key words or phrases to focus on. The first one I remember was “simple” in 2018, “intentional connections” in 2019 and “restoration” in 2020. This year the Lord has been highlighting the word “embrace.”
Definition of embrace –
1. to clasp in the arms; cherish, love
2. encircle, enclose
3. to take up especially readily or gladly; to avail oneself of: welcome
4. to take in or include as a part, item, or element of a more inclusive whole; to be equal or equivalent toMerriam-Webster
I actually love all of these definitions! I didn’t realized there were that many ways to utilized this one word! Here are the ways that I’m hoping to “embrace” 2022.
1. To clasp in the arms – As my family will tell you, I love hugs! This reminds and challenges me to hug my family often. I want to spend time with them so that I can hug them long and repeatedly. Even the ones who don’t want them (you know who you are!).
2. Encircle – This reminds me of circling the wagons – focusing on putting the important stuff in the middle. I want to focus on the things that are important. I want to protect those things. I don’t want the world to steal these things from me. One of the things I want to focus on is mediating on the Word of the Lord. The last couple of days I’ve felt the Lord inviting me to do a study on the word daughter. Specifically, what it means to be His daughter. I know that many things will come along to distract me, but I want to encircle and prioritize the things the Lord wants me to focus on such as this word study.
3. To take up readily or gladly – I know that the Lord has desires and plans for me this year. I’m not yet sure what these plans are, but I feel Him shifting things under my feet. I want to readily and gladly accept whatever He has planned. When I was younger, I didn’t like change, but this year feels different. I have more anticipation and expectation for what He has planned.
4. To take in or include as a part, item, or element of a more inclusive whole – I want to find or refine my place in the different areas the Lord has called me too. I’m realizing that the Lord has created me to take part in making a whole. I have a role to play at work, in my family, with my friends, and ultimately in the body of Christ (the Church). I want to make sure that I am filling in the pieces that the Lord has called me too.
I’m sure there are other ways that the Lord will desire to have me embrace 2022. May my heart be soft to His promptings and may my mind be ready to embrace all that He has for me. I pray your 2022 is filled with His joy and His embrace.